How Much Does a Railroad Tie Weigh? How Heavy Are They – It Varies!
The average weight of a railroad tie is between 200 to 250 pounds. The weight of a railroad tie is going to depend on the material that is used to make that particular piece of railroad. If you have a wooden railroad tie, then the weight is going to be about 200 pounds, which is light compared to some of the other materials. If you are looking at a concrete railroad tie, this can weigh up to 1500 pounds.
A railroad tie, which can also go by the name of a cross tie, can be used to help support the rails on a turnout and a rail track as well. These can be made out of a few different materials, including steel, concrete, or wood. Because they need to be sturdy in order to help the train get to its location, you may wonder just how much one of these railroad ties is going to weigh.
Let’s take a closer look at the railroad tie and learn a bit more about what it is made out of, how it is used, and the weight of each component.
How Heavy is a Railroad Tie?
The average weight of a railroad tie is going to be between 200 to 250 pounds. The exact weight is going to depend on the type of concrete and the type of wood that is used. The exact size of the tie can matter as well.
For example, if you have a cross tie that is about 6 feet long and made out of wood, then the weight is usually around 220 pounds. If you go with one that is a bit longer at 8 feet, then it may weigh up to 260 pounds instead.
A railroad tie is going to be a rectangular support that is used on the rails on the railroad tracks. You have often gone across these, but may not have considered what the names of them are at all. Railroad ties are traditionally made out of wood, so that is typically the material that you will see when it comes time to weigh them.
However, there is now a new material that is being used with many of these, including pre-stressed concrete. This is most commonly used in Asia and Europe though. The newer material is going to allow the ties to be lighter in weight and can even help them to last a bit longer than the wood ones.
How Much Does an 8 Foot Railroad Tie Weight
The length of the railroad tie that you choose to go with will matter as well. The 8 foot railroad tie can be a bit longer and heavier than the other options, but the average weight will be 200 pounds. If you use hardwood, expect that the weight is going to be a bit heavier compared to some of the lighter wood options that can be added on.
What are the Different Weights of Railroad Ties?
There are a lot of weight variations that you are going to see when it comes to a railroad tie. Some of these include:
- Relay ties: These are going to be some of the heaviest and it is not uncommon to see them be almost 300 pounds. They are created to not have a lot of cracks or splits over the years.
- Relay landscape ties: These are some of the best if you would like to do a landscaping project. They can be around 250 to 300 pounds depending on the exact dimensions that you get.
- #1 landscape ties: This is going to be a tie that has a minimum of 3 solid sides. This is a good pick if you are looking to do some good landscaping and they will fall between 150 to 200 pounds.
- #2 landscape ties: These will have a minimum of 2 solid sides and they can look just like the #1 if you are careful, but they will be lighter at 150 pounds instead.
- #3 landscape ties: These are going to have one good side and may not be as sturdy as some of the others, but still weigh between 100 to 150 pounds and will look good for a lot of landscaping if you are worried about cost.
Chart of the Weight of a Railroad Tie
|Type of Tie
|Weight (in pounds)
|Heaviest and designed to be durable with few cracks or splits
|Relay landscape ties
|250 to 300
|Best for landscaping projects
|#1 landscape ties
|150 to 200
|Minimum of 3 solid sides, good for landscaping
|#2 landscape ties
|Minimum of 2 solid sides, lighter than #1 ties
|#3 landscape ties
|100 to 150
|One good side, good for cost-conscious landscaping projects
The Bottom Line:
The weight of most railroad ties, whether they are longer or shorter, is going to be pretty heavy. This allows the train to get the amount of support that it needs without any damage or worry about the train not staying on the track. Whether it utilizes wood or concrete or steel to help make the tie, you will find that the heavier weight will help it to get the work done in no time.
Railway ties are highly versatile materials used for landscaping projects, weighing several tons and carrying a hefty price tag. Costing far more than regular lumber, railway ties can frequently be found around railroad tracks and sometimes on the rails themselves. Trains might also use them as ballast for stability. Fees for acquiring these materials could range depending on the number of railway ties required.
Obtaining railroad ties for landscaping projects is relatively simple. Generally, the prices of railway ties vary and can cost more than traditional lumber, depending on value and the number of ties needed. Railway ties are widely used in landscaping projects, requiring a standard fee in order to obtain them. People needing railway ties will generally have to go either to a rail road or a Lowes store; these places often sell railway ties at non-traditional values which are typically cheaper than two or three times the cost of traditional lumber. A fee may still be required but it is normally much less compared to having them shipped from another state or country. In conclusion, obtaining railroad ties for landscaping projects is fairly simple and easy, just be sure to weigh the costs versus the benefits before taking the plunge into obtaining expensive materials for your project!
What you learned:
- A railroad tie typically weighs between 200 and 300 pounds.
- Railroad ties are made from a variety of materials, including wood and concrete.
- The weight of the tie will depend on the material it is made from as well as its size.
- Hardwood ties are heavier than softwood ties, with oak being the heaviest at around 300 pounds per tie.
- Softwoods such as pine or cedar weigh less, usually in the range of 200 to 250 pounds per tie.
- Railroad ties come in various sizes and shapes; some are 8 feet long while others can be up to 12 feet long.
- The thickness of a railroad tie also affects its weight; thicker ties will weigh more than thinner ones.
- Railroad ties must be able to withstand heavy loads and extreme weather conditions so they are usually quite durable and long-lasting.
- It is important to use the correct type of railroad tie for your project in order to ensure safety and longevity.
- When installing railroad ties, you should always wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, boots etc., due to their heavy weight.
- Railroad ties are treated with different preservatives and chemicals to improve their durability and lifespan.
- Railroad ties can last up to 50 years before they need to be replaced.
- Using recycled or salvaged railroad ties can help reduce their environmental impact, as well as save money on purchasing new ones.
People also Ask
What are the common uses of railroad ties?
Railroad ties are commonly used in landscaping projects such as retaining walls, pathways, decks and patios. They can also be used for other construction projects like building permanent roadways and railway systems. Railroad ties are also known to be quite durable and long-lasting, so they make great material for outdoor structures that need to stand strong against the elements.
What are the benefits of using railroad ties in landscaping projects?
Railroad ties offer many advantages when used in landscaping. They are easy to install, strong and durable, and can add an interesting visual aesthetic to any outdoor space. Railroad ties also provide great drainage for plants and other vegetation as well as a secure hold for walls, pathways and decks. Additionally, they are cost-effective compared to other materials used in landscaping projects, making them a popular choice among homeowners.
How much do 7x9x8 railroad ties weigh?
Seven-by-nine-by-eight railroad ties typically weigh between 175 and 195 pounds. The exact weight depends on the type of wood used in their construction, their age, and any additional hardware or components that may have been installed.
Can You Lift A Railroad Tie On Your Own?
It is generally not recommended to lift a railroad tie on your own without assistance. Railroad ties typically weigh between 180 and 200 pounds, making them too heavy for one person to lift safely. Additionally, due to their length and shape, they can be difficult to maneuver by yourself. It is best to seek help from one or more people when attempting to move a railroad tie.
How Much Does A Railroad Tie Cost?
The cost of a railroad tie can vary greatly depending on its size and quality. Generally, the cost of an eight-foot long, seven-by-nine-inch railroad tie ranges from $10 to $20. The price of higher quality ties made from hardwoods such as oak or walnut can be upwards of $30.